Monday, November 21, 2011

Go to sleep {Sleep Innovations review}

I was recently offered a mattress topper for review.

As a mama of three, you might not be able to get my attention any faster than enticing me with the promise of better sleep.

I did not take long to say "yes, please."

We received the Sleep Innovations 2" Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper and I plopped it right on our bed. I've always wanted to try a memory foam product ever since my second pregnancy, during which I developed some back problems that I keep in check through targeted muscle exercises but from which I've never fully recovered.

(There, I've said it. My second child broke me.)

It came with its own mattress pad that fits just like a regular mattress and has a bed-sized zippered pocket on top.

The pocket unzips and you stick your foam topper in and zip up. The enclosed literature said that their cover is waterproof, but with three kids and their snacks making regular appearances in our bed, I still layered our own waterproof mattress pad on top.


The foam is fun. It squishes right down into your shape, and poofs right up as you remove your weight.


I will tell you my one complaint first: the foam had a slight off-gassy smell for a few days. I only noticed it if I lay directly face down and it faded quickly but for those few days I was mindful not to have kids in the bed. I probably should have pulled it off and let it air out, but truthfully? It was too comfy. I didn't want it gone.

Please note that Sleep Innovations' FAQs say this:

All of Sleep Innovations' polyurethane foam products are Made in the US and free of known toxins. Our memory foam contains no formaldehyde, no PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ether), and no chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).




I did smell something, though, and even if it wasn't toxic I prefer the odor-faded experience to the brand-new smell. My message to you: unroll it for a few days before putting any such foam product on your bed. Be ye not so hasty.

Here's my assessment: it takes me less time to fall asleep, and I'm sleeping more deeply. My back is so much less sore in the mornings. Most mornings, I don't feel it at all. I'm not desperately doing back arches on the carpet at 6am to align wonky tight muscles. I'm less aware of the lovely husband's night movements, because the foam absorbs the bounce of his stretches and flops and I feel the reverberations so much less. And, it's cozy warm. It holds my body heat in a way that the mattress alone never could.

I think we should have bought one four years ago, when I first had trouble with my back. Or six years ago, when I was first pregnant and we entered the era of chronic sleep deprivation. I think you should buy one right now. If you're in the market for a memory foam sleep product, check out Sleep Innovations. They make me very happy. And with that, I'm going to hit "publish" and go to bed.

Sleep Innovations provided us a 2"Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper. I provide the candor.